Walkway Auditor Training
The National Floor Safety Institute’s (NFSI) Walkway Auditor Certificate Holder (WACH) Training course is designed to provide the attendee with the necessary information on how to properly conduct a walkway safety audit and bring you up to date on recently released NFSI B101 Standards.
The course covers:
- Step-by-step review of the NFSI Walkway Surface Auditing Procedure for the Measurement of Walkway Surface Traction
- OSHA’s revised Walking and Working Surface Requirements, including workplace safety signs usage
- How and why slips, trips and falls occur
- Floor covering materials and their recommended applications
- Proper floor maintenance methods and procedures
- Overview of various walkway tribometers and NFSI recognized tribometers
Participants must complete all five sessions of the online WACH Course and score an 80% or higher on all combined assessments to become a Walkway Auditor Certificate Holder (WACH). Email Laura Cooper for a discounted price if purchasing all five sessions in order.
Tribometry 101 Webinar
This webinar produced by the NFSI will cover the history of Tribometry and examine the various portable tribometers both past and present. Participants will be able to distinguish between Static Coefficient of Friction (SCOF) and Dynamic Coefficient of Friction (DCOF) and determine which device can measure SCOF, DCOF, both or another measurement term. An overview of the NFSI B101.0 Walkway Surface Auditing Procedure for the Measurement of Walkway Slip Resistance is provided. Once completed, participants will have a broad knowledge base of friction, tribology and tribological systems.
Session 2 Floors, Walkways & Paths Webinar
This webinar produced by the NFSI will cover the history of walkways. Participants will be able to distinguish between the different Floor Coverings and their characteristics and demonstrate knowledge in properly identifying flooring materials. Participants will have working knowledge of proper maintenance procedures for various flooring materials and learn proper vs. improper floor cleaning techniques as related to slips and falls. Upon completion, participants will have the ability to make educated recommendations on proper selection for flooring materials to improve floor safety and apply known solutions to a variety of predictable problems concerning slip and fall accidents and preventions for traction-deficient walkways.
Session 3 Preventing Slips, Trips & Falls Webinar
This webinar produced by the NFSI will focus on slip, trip, and fall prevention. Participants will develop an understanding of both the causes and contributing factors which contribute to slips, trips, and falls. This webinar will educate you on the growing problem that many business owners face daily costing them millions of dollars annually and provide the tools to assist clients in preventing their slip, trip and fall problem. This webinar also provides an overview of the proper use and installation of floor mats and hazard identification as well as the importance of training and proper footwear.
This 1 hour and 20 minute webinar is currently available online, click here to purchase streaming access.
Session 4 Slips, Trips & Falls: A Risk Management View Webinar
This webinar produced by the NFSI will focus on a safety and risk management view of slips, trips, and falls. Participants will be informed on the growing problem that many business owner’s face on a daily basis costing them millions of dollars annually. They will understand how to control the high cost of slip and fall accidents through accident prevention, statistical analysis, accident investigation, claims management and litigation management. Participants will be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of NFSI B101.1 Test Method for Measuring the Wet SCOF of Hard-Surface Walkways and NFSI B101.3 Test Method for Measuring the Wet DCOF of Hard Surface Walkways.
This 1 hour and 30 minute webinar is currently available online, click here to purchase streaming access.
Session 5 Tribometer Training, Mock Walkway Audit, Overview of Flooring Surfaces & Practical Test $429
This is a live training session and practical exam. Once you register, you will be contacted with a Zoom link based on upcoming live sessions.
Day 1 (9:00 am – 12:00 pm CST)
- Flooring Materials – a demonstration of how to identify different flooring materials.
- Mock Audit – how to perform a Walkway Audit with demonstrations of how to use the NFSI recognized tribometers.
- Questions & Answers
Day 2 (1-hour time to be assigned at registration)
- Practical Exam – we will conduct the practical exam via Zoom. There will be 5 flooring materials to correctly identify and you must perform a walkway audit.
COURSE REQUIREMENTS AND EVALUATION
Participants must complete all four sessions of the online WACH Course, then participate in Session 5 via Zoom and score an 80% or higher on all combined assessments to become a Walkway Auditor Certificate Holder.
The assessments are comprised of:
Part 1: Written Assessments. At the end of each session (sessions 1-4), participants will complete a short open-book, knowledge-based assessment consisting of multiple-choice questions covering the outlined course objectives. The written assessments are graded by an Education Committee Member upon completion by the student and the student will receive their grade before moving on to the next session.
Part 2: Practical Assessment. Because the objective is to provide the student with the knowledge to perform a walkway audit, it is important that the student be proficient in conducting an audit upon completion of the course. There are five components on which the student will be graded in the Practical portion of the Assessment.
- Flooring Identification – There will be 5 flooring materials to correctly identify
- Walkway Auditor Certificate Holder Auditor’s Report – The students will have been walked through this process by the course facilitator. They will need to complete the provided report which is also outlined in the NFSI 101.0 Walkway Surface Auditing Procedure for the Measurement of Walkway Slip Resistance, the standard upon which the course is based.
- AUDIT RESULTS – Each student will choose their preferred tribometer for this portion to conduct the walkway audit. We currently have three portable devices from which they can choose: the GS-1, Tracscan and the ASM-825A. Participants must either own or rent their own device for the online course option. In three separate rooms, they will measure the Coefficient of Friction (COF) of the floor and record the results on the worksheet provided, determine the Average COF and highlight any deficiencies in the data recorded. Each item is a separate assessment.
- FACILITY SITE DIAGRAM – Each student must produce a site diagram of their home or office. The site diagram must display which rooms are being audited. The diagram must display the Zone identification within the building, Risk class and Type of floor for each room. These items are clearly defined in the NFSI 101.0 Walkway Surface Auditing Procedure for the Measurement of Walkway Slip Resistance, the standard upon which the course is based.
- TRIBOMETER USAGE – Under the observation of a facilitator, each of the five rooms will be graded on proper usage based on demonstrations provided by facilitators and manufacturer’s operating instructions. The results reported will be based on the Table in NFSI B101.1 Test Method For Measuring Wet SCOF of Common Hard-Surface Floor Materials.
Students who successfully meet the proficiency requirements will be awarded a certificate as a Walkway Auditor Certificate Holder (WACH) within one week of completing the course.
No refunds or cancellations will be given once the course link has been distributed.
NFSI Recognized Tribometers and Rental Information
NFSI recognized tribometers include:
- Tracscan (https://www.madsafetyinstruments.com/)
- GS-1 (http://gsslipmeter.com/)
- ASM 825A and 925 (http://americanslipmeter.com/)
Tribometer Rental Companies include:
- Traction Auditing – https://www.tractionauditing.com/services-rental.php
- Slip Doctors – https://slipdoctors.com/pages/slip-testing-equipment-rental
- Walkway Safety Consulting – https://walkwaysafetyconsulting.com/rent-a-tribometer/
- Substratum Group – https://www.substratumgroup.com/product/gs1rental/